The past 2 to 3 weeks my guild has been largely leaderless. Our Guild Master (GM) has quite frankly f***ed off with no warning. He logs in for a few minutes here and there at weird times (according to real ID). When I say weird I'm talking at times of the day when we all know the guild will be dead. You might even be inclined to say he's logging in so it doesn't get to 30 days when somone can take over!
Likely reasons for him going AWOL:
- Internet issues. He has had net issues in every house he's lived in (as far as I'm aware). The question of whether it's his computer and not the net is one that should not me muttered for penalty of a death. Anyhow, he has been managing to log in so it can't be that bad.
- Real life issues. Again very possible given family circumstances. But again, he has managed to log into WoW so why not leave a guild message of the day, or send mail to someone. Secondly, he has the mobile numbers of several members including myself.
- Simply doesn't give a s**t. This one gets my vote. Raiding hasn't been going to plan and considering it's prertty much his only reason to play I think he's decided to p*** off as a sort of childish protest.
However, there are issues with not having a GM.
- We can't promote any new officers. Currently there are 2; my good fried Roooby and another guy who is as much use as a chocoloate teapot! In the near future Robs work commitments will be (temporarily) increasing so he'll have less WoW time. Officers are very handy for just generally looking after things, talking to people, recruiting etc.
- We have very limited control over the guild bank. As of late guild challenges haven't been getting done (for a number of reasons) which means very little money going in. But guild banks repair are still on - what if the money gets low and we need to turn repairs off??
- Limbo. I think this is the biggest issue. Everyone knows the GM is AWOL. People have started asking questions - especially the raiders who are without a leader. Now, no-one stopping them going to other guilds to raid but I think a lot of them would appreciate some sort of closure. This extends to the socials (i.e. myself) too.
Now you might be thinking why am I so worried about it? To be honest the boyfriend seems to ask me this question a lot. But I think I have finally come to realise why. For all the faults that the guild has I love spending my time in Azeroth with most of them (and by most I really mean the only ones that I do stuff with). We have a great bunch of people at the minute and I'm not willing to sit back and watch the guild go to s*** because of one guy whom I suspect is to chicken to quit the game for good!
Another reason requires a little story first. You may remember at one point the boyf was GM. Well this was after the original (and current) GM left the game. At the time there was about 5 of us playing regularly - the boyf (then GM), the 2 current officers, myself & Adam. The boyfriend decided to promote me and Adam to officers as we we're essentially doing officer stuff etc. When the GM came back me & Adam were demoted for no reason other than 'he hadn't voted'. I mean who'd have thought someone that quits the game gets a bloody vote! Anyway, I have continued to do exactly the same stuff as before, despite lacking the rank and a fair few people would consider me to be an officer. But when someone who does f*** all sits there and says they're an officer (despite the fact that they aren't) as they've known the GM for years I really feel like /gquit'ing.
Then I remember the lovely people and think 'no, I'll stick around a bit longer'.
Perhaps I just need to learn to let go but this is still my first guild, my Azerothian home. I guess it's something that you get used to with time.